Maggie the Wonder Dog's Training Journal

Saturday, August 20, 2005

It's off to work we go!!

Well after spending almost 3 months at my parents' place and running amok (Maggie) or in DC (me), Maggie and I are back at school and thus back at work for both of us.

Today was an evaluation day for Mags, no specific goals. We ended up hopping into the car and heading to Petsmart. Upon our arrival, I decided to put Maggie in her Delta Society vest before entering the store. I had noticed some problems with attention and heel work at my parents' place and wanted to see if this would be a problem with the vest on.

Maggie was amazing! Even with two Rotties (an adult and a pup) charging up to her, Maggie was on her best behavior. The heeling was almost perfect without any cuing and she ignored rude dogs with only a bit of stiffening upon close approaches. We did have a few issues with wandering attention at the register and picking up dropped food on the floor, but nothing major. She greeted a guy who petted her from overhead very appropriately.

On the way home we swung by a produce stand and I took her out on a plain leash and collar. Maggie's attention was much more scattered and she pulled on leash. She did sit for me while I got my corn, but stood up as I was paying and pulled on lead again.

It appears that she knows that vest = work, which is great for therapy work, but not so great for other times. I need a dog that is well behaved regardless of what she's wearing, especially if I'm going to try and expand my training business - Maggie could be great advertising if her performace is spotless or could be detrimental publicity if she's less than steller on lead. New goal: polish behavior on just leash and flat collar.

I am considering buying a vest like her Delta Society one that says "Dog in Training" and then my business contact info - she could be a great billboard lol and it would help cut down on distractions I think. :)

1 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good looking blog, well written, says what YOU want it to, please keep up the good work.

From Nesbit, Mississippi thanks for letting me be a part of your blog and "Yall come back now ya hear".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home